The Vagina is an amazing organ. Truthfully, most females do not give their vagina a second thought unless:
- They are having struggles with it,
- They want to use it, or
- They discover they are pregnant (please refer back to #2).
Women’s mysteries used to be shared knowledge. All females knew the intricacies and expectations of puberty, menarche (first bleeding), sexuality/sensuality, pregnancy, laboring & birthing, postpartum, breastfeeding, and the menopausal years (peri-menopause, menopause, post-menopause) because females shared this information with each other in the moon lodge, menstrual hut, red tent, etc. Women no longer gather together at their bleeding times, taking respite from the world, and sharing womb wisdom with each other. Most females fumble through all these life transitions learning street information from friends, out of books, or the modern-day “Google Knows All” experience.
I am going to focus on #1 above: You are having struggles with your vagina and specifically help for the struggles of the menopausal years. I have clients in their menopausal years who are dealing with symptoms of vaginal aging and the distress this can bring:
- vaginal atrophy
- low lubrication for every day living and more so for sexually active menopausal years
- vaginal spasms
- vaginismus (painful contracting of the vagina so penetration, even with a finger, is painful and even impossible)
These vaginal issues are something I never gave a second thought (who does until menopausal years are lurking around the corner). Rarely do females share conversation about such things unless you happen to hang with an amazing groups of females. It is a touchy subject and females are often concerned there is something wrong with them, they will be different, or even seen as strange. As one drifts towards menopause (I still have regularly scheduled monthly bleeding but can see changes between now and 20 years ago) these struggles become more apparent in every day life.
I want to offer up 2 simple solutions for vaginal dryness, burning, itching (assuming symptoms are not caused by an infection): fresh aloe and a wild yam lotion you can make yourself.
Let us start with aloe. If you are fortunate to have a huge potted aloe, like mine above, this aloe thing is easy. 1. When ready for bed I break off a big juicy leaf (thanking the plant) and 2. cut off a piece about 1 1/2 inches long. The remainder I put in a wide mouth canning jar, cover, and place in the fridge for nightly use) 3. Break open the piece so you expose the gel. 4. Go to bed. When you are lying down, insert the piece of aloe as high up in your vagina as you can. 5. Leave there until AM and then 6. Remove in AM by inserting a finger inside the vagina and dragging out the aloe. Removal an issue for you? Stay tuned, more on this later.
Aloe helps to keep the vagina moist, heals tissue, relieves symptoms of irritated menopausal vaginal mucosa, and even helps with yeast infections. More on vaginal infections later. I also recommend you do something to remove all yeasty discharge from your vagina before putting the aloe or any natural healing remedy into the vagina.
Wild Yam Cream/Lotion/Ointment/Lube
- 2 cups high quality vegetable oil: use only organic almond, olive, sesame, coconut oils
- 1/2 ounce dried calendula flowers
- 1 ounces cut & dried wild yam root
- 1 Vit E 1000 IU oil gel capsule
- 1 Vit A 5000 IU oil gel capsule (Solgar or another high quality supplement company for both of these vitamin gel capsules)
- Thickener: 2 ounces beeswax, cocoa butter, or shea butter (if your above veggie oil was coconut you do not need to add this ingredient)
I teach this process in my Herbal Online Course for teaching you the basics of starting to make and use your own herbal preparations: http://www.paulayoumellrn.com/herbs-for-health-healing/
To make the soothing wild yam vaginal cream:
- Add oil to stainless steel or glass pot that has tight fitting lid.
- Gently bring oil to a warm temp. DO NOT heat quickly or even come close to a simmer. 180 F is warm enough.
- Add wild yam root, stir well, and place in pre-warmed oven at 175-180 F. Leave for 2-3 hours.
- Remove from oven, add calendula flowers, stir in well. Bring back to warm temperature on stove top and then place into oven for at least another hour.
- Strain herbal matter from oil through muslin or a cheese cloth into a clean stainless steel pot. Squeeze cloth well to get every last drop of this precious herbal infused oil that you can. (I confess, I often use my stainless steel strainer.
- If you did not use coconut oil: re-heat the oil, gently please. Add thickener from above, stir into oil, and allow to melt. If you used coconut oil just skip this step.
- Pierce the Vit E & A gel capsules and squeeze into the herb infused oil. Stir in well.
- Pour into 2 -4 ounce salve jars (4 ounce Ball canning jelly jars work great) and allow to cool & harden into a salve.
- Store in a dark, cool, dry place. Use within a years time. Share with friends; They will love you and their vaginas will thank you!
- Use on & in irritated, dry vaginas and vulvas caused from menopausal symptoms or too much sex!
- Use as a lubricant for happy sex.
Stayed tuned for my next posts on retrieving the aloe from your vagina and healing help for vaginal infections… that yeasty demon!
Cheers and happy wild yam lube making!