Got Heavy Bleeding? Get Wild Yam!
Heavy bleeding, menorrhagia, is common in early menstruating years, in peri-menopause, and at times when hormones are fluctuating and unbalanced.
(There are a whole host of medical problems that can precipitate menorrhagia but I will stick to simple, hormonal imbalances here.)
Western medicine’s answer to the problem is to regulate a females cycle using synthetic hormones. Often times this means prescribing birth control pills to teenagers (women of all ages, really) to regulate their cycles. A teen’s body just started to function in a menstruating way; do we really expect it to function perfectly from the beginning? Should we not let her body settle into what will be normal for her?
When menstrual symptoms persist, I urge females to turn to nature for help.
Getting to the root causes of a female’s heavy bleeding, not covering it up with a synthetic hormone prescription, supports the whole body’s health and healing.
Actions to take:
1. 100% whole food diet – When we feed our bodies whole food, as nature gave them to us, our bodies respond with vibrant health. This means all physiological processes function as they were meant to. This means balanced hormonal health and reproductive cycles.
2. Outdoor exercise, fresh air, and natural light – all three are essential for the optimum function of your body. Go now: get your boots, sneakers, or flip flops on (depending on where you live on this beautiful planet) and get outside. Your ovaries, your whole body, will thank you. Get natural sun light and moon light. Natural light regulates your hormones. Nature is amazing. You are nature.
3. Sleep – Your body functions best with plenty of sleep, preferably before 10 PM. This ensures the best natural rhythms of the body. Human body rhythms follow nature’s rhythms because we are nature.
4. A balanced body weight for you. This means taking into consideration your body size, shape, bone structure, etc. Adipose tissue produces estrogen and can contribute to hormone imbalances and estrogen dominance, in women. Maintaining a healthy body weight / body composition supports the female body from having heavy menstural flow.
5. Herbs: There are many herbs that work to balance the female reproductive organs, hormones, cycle… Herbs are food that feed the body cells, nourish your whole body, mind, and soul. You can take herbs in multi-herb formulas or in single herb healing medicines, depending on what you are trying to nourish and heal.
Remember, herbs are food. Using herbs is akin to eating fruits and vegetables. Ask a certified herbalist for help finding the formula best suited to your reproductive needs.
I use wild yam, in varying doses to match the natural female cycle and the rising & falling of progesterone, to prevent the gushing bleeding of peri-menopause. Again, wild yam works like a charm.
My menstrual flow is very light (mini pad) except for about 12 hours of moderately light flow and it lasts about 48 hours, sometimes 2 1/2 days. I was doing the “gush thing” that soaked through pads, clothes, coats, onto car seats, etc. There were huge clots everywhere. I am glad to have ended that issue with herbs… wild yam.
The female hormonal cycles:
Wild Yam has also ended my monthly, hormonal-shift migraines. These migraines can happen to women when the estrogen or progesterone levels drop during the monthly cycle. While this is a normal hormonal drop (see cycle chart above), as hormones do not stay at the same level all month, in some women this shift in hormones can trigger migraines. Those “beautiful” menopausal years migraines plagued me until I figured out it was an estrogen dominance issue. Wild Yam to my rescue.
Years ago, I used wild yam as my birth control. Again, it worked like a charm.
I would recommend you do not use just any wild yam off the store shelves, use Living Earth’s product,
and ask for help from a knowlegeable practitioner to know what you are doing with herbs and understanding your body’s fertility cycle. See below. AND, read the booklet to know how to take it properly for birth control. Again, need help, ask.
Below are 2 booklets (The first two are booklets and yes, I have copies of all) and 1 full size book on Wild Yam. This is good reading to learn the wonders of natural healing; taking self-responsibility for the health of your body.
The below company, Living Earth, is the one I have used, personally and for client’s health and healing needs. I trust this company and their product. Click on image below to visit the company that offers this female balancing herb. Need help, ask.
Blessing of good health, Paula